Monday, February 03, 2014

Eventful Season For BRCC

The Thessalon Curling Club. Just a small 4 sheet club like the BRCC but with a heart the size of northern Ontario. We played our Regionals this past weekend at this club and if there is anything to say about this place, the people hosting this event were absolutely first rate. The ice was fast and with lots of curl. Add too much weight or set it out, very unforgiving. Matt Seabrook is the president here (you will recall perhaps that Matt was throwing last rock for Mike Jakabo up to a couple seasons ago) and he and his crew really wowed everyone in attendance. I must say, I didn't even recognize Matt first when I got there. His hair is much longer and he has a pretty robust beard. In fact, throw in a few grey hairs and he would look like a double for the guy on that show, Mountain Men....the one whose skidoo is always broke down! Jeanine Rosenberg and company were there cooking all weekend and I want to say that this lady sure knows how to dish up the vittles! And then there was Bill Rosenberg...always there and always willing to help. In fact, he fixed my broom...it was pretty loose in the head (the broom...not me...well yes, me, but to a much lesser degree) but now is just like new after Bill took it across the street and fixed it. The Rosenbergs are huge assets to this Thessalon club and I would like to extend a huge thank you to the Thessalon Curling Club for doing such a first rate job of hosting this event.

It turns out that Team Villeneuve (with Bob Villeneuve, yours truly, Terry Fryer and Dan Horton) managed to qualify and will be heading to the Northern Ontario Senior Mens Provincials in a couple of weeks in Sturgeon Falls. So, as I sit here today, 24 hours after qualifying, I have to ask myself, what was there to take away from all this. Well, besides elation, there are several things. There were several times that it occurred to me just how important it is to have the capacity to keep your emotions under control. In competitive curling, things are serious and emotions can run high. It is important to learn to control that and keep a balance in yourself and for the benefit of the team as a whole. Is this easy? No way. Different people have different emotional levels. And if you think that emotions are simple to deal with during competitive play, then I should think that you have not played much competitive curling. Understanding and maintaining an even emotional level during a tight, competitive game is a skill...just as much as the skill involved in shot-making. If you allow your emotions to be all over the place, then it is quite likely your shots will be all over the place too. I think I am an emotional player and I need to be  constantly aware of that. That's why I would like to try to keep it light with my teammates as much as I can...just to keep them loose and to keep me loose as well. As much as I know this is the right way to go about it, it can be difficult because there are a plethora of "moments" in a  big game that can make you forget all that and become all too caught up in those moments. Yes indeed...a skill that I want to be better at. Also, I chew alot of gum. Terry Fryer has told me, in his dentist's opinion that I chew way too much, and after a tough weekend of curling as I am approaching lockjaw and the inside of my mouth is sore from accidentally chewing my tongue or cheek (hurts like heck), I'm inclined to agree with him. But, fool as I am, I do it anyway and I will agree with anyone that says I resemble a billy goat when I am out there on the ice. But, despite all that, I find it helpful.

So what else could I take away from this past weekend? Well, it would have to be the comradrie that exists between curlers of opposing teams. Sitting with the other curlers after a game (win or lose) is something that only a sport like curling can offer. Curling is a social game...nothing has changed there.

And what else. Well, perhaps not too well known among all culers is the fact that you should not inhale while walking past the mens washroom at a curling club that provides beakfast on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Make that mistake once, and you will be sure not to do it a second time!

And according to Dave Trudeau, a pal from Soo curlers, when you are down a few and your opponent is lying 4 and you are left with a difficult, low percentage shot (on swingy ice) to get one point, it "could be a headin' for the truck moment"! A curling adage that I will not soon forget and hope not to use anytime soon! The Trudeau team are great guys...I enjoyed running into them again.

And finally, believing in yourself and your team is paramount in competitive curling. And I will say this, as we got off to a slow start in our regionals, I still had faith in our squad and I knew that if we could just play to our potential, then anything was possible. There was never a time when I stopped believing and in the end, we prevailed. The power of positive thought can not be counted out. (And of course, there was a little luck involved too but sometimes, you just gotta get lucky).

In other BRCC news, Team Hayley Horton played in their provincials (Bantams) at the Soo curlers. They ended up 2 and 4. I'm sure they had hoped to get further but I say they did great. It is awesome that they got to play in a provincial competition. I'm sure there were lots of things that they were able to take away from that competition and they will be all the more savvy on the ice next year. Personally, I am proud of these young ladies. It is hard not to like them. One thing is for sure, each one of them is just brimming with potential and I hope beyond hope that they stick to the Roaring Game. Who knows where it can take them?...nowhere bad, that's for sure.

And then there is Stephane Lemieux heading to the Northern Ontario Mens Provincials in February. Steph is curling under the Soo curlers flag but he is a Blind River boy and the BRCC will be rooting for him.

Great season for the BRCC. How could anyone not like curling in the north?

Rock On!

The Curling Chronic


No comments: